Starting with the basics: Industrial-Organizational (I-O) Psychology uses the scientific method to study human behavior and improve human performance at work. Applied Scientists then use the information resulting from these studies to help you and your organization solve problems in the workplace, like how to:
- Optimize team performance through a crisis or major change
- Increase productivity while reducing errors to become a High-Reliability Organization
- Build a climate and culture of safety and wellness in your team
- Facilitate an effective and efficient strategic plan that aligns people with your mission
- Create and sustain a positive leadership legacy in your career
- Select, train, mentor, and retain a talented and adaptable workforce
Such scientists have expertise in the design, execution and interpretation of research in psychology and study issues of recruitment, selection and placement, training and development, performance measurement, workplace motivation and reward systems, quality of work life, structure of work and human factors, organizational development and consumer behavior. In addition, applied scientists (e.g. I-O Psychology consultants like ours) must have in-depth knowledge of organizational development, attitudes, career development, decision theory, human performance and human factors, consumer behavior, small group theory and process, criterion theory and development, job and task analysis and individual assessment.
To summarize, I-O psychology is the study of human behavior at work and is applied to the real world in ways to make work meaningful to humans. Learn more about I-O Psychology by visiting the American Psychological Association and the Society for I-O Psychology.